Sunday, April 5, 2009

Today is the nicest...

day of spring so far in the pine forests of eastern Washington. The windows in my digital cottage in the woods are wide open, with warm breezes of fresh air displacing the stale air of winter. And, I'm very happy to discover, I have my first bat resident of the season occupying one of the many bat houses hung around the place. UPDATE: Monday morning's census shows six Big Brown Bats (Eptesicus fuscus) in residence.

Birds aplenty too: Dark-eyed Juncos, California Quail, Red-breasted Nuthatches, Blackbirds and American Robins all keep me company this afternoon while I engage in yard chores. There's even an annoying Northern Flicker banging his head against the metal roof of my observatory, loudly proclaiming his territory as nesting season gets underway.

Cornell University's Lab of Ornithology web site: All About Birds

1 comment: