Monday, April 27, 2009

EWU athletics program...

challenged in lieu of the looming budget cuts in the sports section of Sunday's Spokesman-Review. Unfortunately you need a paid subscription to read the entire linked story on-line. Nonetheless, the article is highly critical of EWU. Dr. Jeff Corkill, professor of chemistry and long-time proponent of reductions in athletics, is extensively quoted in the article.

But EWU president Arevalo claims:
"But I don't hear, for the lack of a better word, a groundswell for [cutting the athletics program.]"
So here's your chance, dear reader, to contact our administration about your feelings regarding sustaining athletics at the expense of academic programs. Contact info:

Office of the President
214 Showalter Hall
Cheney, WA 99004
Ph:(509) 359-2371
Fax:(509) 359-7036
e-mail: president@mail.ewu.edu

Once again, please be brief and polite. But by all means let him know how you feel.

UPDATE: I have posted a copy of the full article outside my office.

1 comment:

  1. I finally got a response from Dr. Arevalo. He made sure to tell me that the athletics programs would get a 10% cut. It didn't tear at my heartstrings though, I think the last I heard Science programs were taking a 28% cut in funding?
    NM

    ReplyDelete