Sunday, May 31, 2009

Test driving the Gigapan Epic 100...


robotic camera platform that mounts on a tripod head that automatically assembles ultra-detailed panoramas. That's my Canon G10 mounted on the imaging mechanism. My impressions so far: well made, sturdily built, metal construction, functions well.

However, it was shipped without the proprietary Stitcher software and there is no provision on the company web site for download. The only way to contact the company is by e-mail; there is no 800 number. So, I left an e-mail note five days ago - they have yet to reply, earning a big, fat F for customer support. Sheesh.

Stay tuned for when I am able to assemble the panoramas. I'm anxious, and I've got a number of ambitious projects in the months ahead.

UPDATE on 5 June: I finally received an email from the company, a full two weeks (10 business days) after my initial inquiry. Lousy customer support - consider carefully before purchasing.

4 comments:

  1. Are you using Mac or Windows? Let me know and I'll point you to the correct download site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ron: I'm a PC/Windows guy. Thanks in advance! Gratefully, JPB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's the Windows download site: http://gc.cs.cmu.edu/stitcher/windows/tmp/gigapan-0.4.4090.msi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks again, Ron -- the download works fine. I'm still waiting to hear from Gigapan customer support after four business days of waiting. Unbelievable.

    ReplyDelete