Monday, May 18, 2009

A flattering offer has been tendered....

to your humble correspondent requesting that I consider serving in the leadership of the Faculty Organization.

Despite the recent eruption of my latent activist tendencies regarding the outrageous budget reduction proposal by the EWU president, I did not become a university professor to engage in governance, committee, nor administrative duties. In fact, those activities run counter to my focus on my time in the classroom, working on my research projects, leading field trips and performing field work. In sum, even after 25 years at EWU, I immensely enjoy mentoring students.

While it is certainly necessary for faculty to step up to these positions, it's not for me. So, with all due respect, my answer will not be no, but a resounding hell no.

1 comment:

  1. you forgot you spend time blogging too. and, uh, you're the director of the environmental sciences program - isn't that administration, sorta kinda?

    ReplyDelete