Saturday, December 12, 2009

Three tall cold ones...


presented themselves during my flight from GEG to PDX and ultimately onto SLC (click to enlarge). From left to right, Mount Saint Helens, Mount Rainier, and Mount Adams. Off the wingtip (which is a free advertisement for my chosen airline), lies the escarpment from the Bonneville landslide, and if one looks closely, you can see the runout in the Columbia River gorge in the lower right of the image. Boy, this lousy image (3.2 Mp with my LG phone) just drips of geology.

So, as a geologist, it's an important consideration as to where you sit during a flight. One must factor the time of day (lighting) with the geology/geomorphology of the over flown terrain. In addition, I typically carry my GPS (Garmin's MAP60 CSx) when flying, with 1:100,000 scale maps loaded on the internal micro SD card, as I enjoy watching the detail of the topography scroll by on the display, with named peaks, towns and drainages.

Moreover, it's interesting to note some of the flight information using the GPS as well. For example, from PDX to SLC we were flying at ~41,000 ft (confirmed by the captain at mid-flight) at an airspeed of 553 mph, while the cabin was pressurized to ~8,200 ft.

I would add that on interminably long international flights it's best to get an aisle set (for the legroom and ease of access) in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment