Monday, June 29, 2009

Northward bound...

for the next several weeks, traveling first to Bergen, Norway, then across the Arctic Circle and ultimately to the Svalbard archipelago following the route depicted on the map. In geology-speak I'm leaving the North American plate, crossing a divergent boundary just east of Greenland (the Mohns ridge, an ultra-low spreading rate mid-ocean ridge), and landing on the Eurasian plate.

Why? Well, I have the very good fortune of being retained as a geologist lecturer/guide for an adventure travel company - Zegrahm Expeditions - and this is my very first gig with them: Norwegian Fjords to Spitsbergen.

It is my intent to upload a post every day (or so) during the voyage depending on the quality of the Internet connection from the ship. I hope to share a picture of something wonderful we encounter each day, and include a short story about the adventurous experience.

Welcome aboard, at least vicariously, for the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment