Friday, February 20, 2009

It is a day filled with...

listening to budding young scientists at the 3rd Inland Northwest High School Science Symposium at the EWU Riverpoint campus in Spokane.

About one dozen oral presentations will be made by regional high school students reporting on their research projects in four sessions during the day. Abstracts have been provided to the judges: Profs Black and Lightfoot from the Department of Biology will join me and several other technical professionals from local industry. The panel of judges has a short question/answer period with each presenter following their talk. I can vouch from prior experience that the questions are sharp yet encouraging, and sometimes, deflating. After all the presentations have been heard, the judges meet late in the day and decide the ranking, with various scholarship opportunities going to the upper echelon winners. An awards banquet follows in the evening. A nice day for all involved.

I remember doing stuff like this when I was a kid and I loved it. I'm sure that's part of why I'm a professor.

No comments:

Post a Comment