Thursday, August 13, 2009

The most academically irresponsible...

administration at Eastern Washington University in the last 25 years has cut the personnel enumerated on this list that I requested from the president's office (.pdf document) as its solution to recent budget reductions. Check it out, check-it-outers.

Note that only one intercollegiate athletics position has been terminated - an assistant soccer coach (a position already vacant.) Yet we have dozens of unfilled academic positions in key disciplines: in biology, chemistry, geology and physics, and in many other productive departments and other colleges. Student learning will certainly suffer in quality, with fewer classes and larger sections being taught by lesser qualified instructors (if at all.)

But we have a thriving, vigorous, athletics program that operates annually in deficit mode, supports only a minority of the student population and exists to entertain alumni! Such are the priorities of this administration under the so-called leadership of president Rodolfo Arévalo.

As the environmental science director (and student advisor) I am struggling with, in good conscience, encouraging students to attend this institution in order to achieve their higher education goals.

If you feel strongly about this situation then give EWU president Arévalo a call: (509) 359-2371. Or e-mail him: president@ewu.edu. Maybe you're in favor. Maybe you're not. Express your opinion. But be brief, and polite.

3 comments:

  1. Dr. Arévalo,


    I recently was given the opportunity to see the staff reductions planned for the upcoming year, and was very disappointed by what I saw. Disappointment has become a fairly regular feeling as of late. When asked by family and friends what I think of the programs at Eastern, I've been reluctant to answer. Sports have become more important to the mission of this institution than academics. As of right now, I intend to complete fall quarter here at Eastern, then transfer to a school that better matches my priorities.


    Thank you for your time.


    Chris Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for staying on this and posting the list. It certainly demonstrates the warped priorities at EWU. Dumb.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I am a student and will be paying 14% more in tuition this year and next while I finish my degree. It looks like I am subsidizing the athletics department and that is not where I want my tuition dollars to go. I am going to write the president, and would transfer like the first commenter, if I could.

    ReplyDelete