Thursday, April 15, 2010

Rarely-seen views...

from the seldom-visited Dry Mesa were the highlight of my solo sojourn into this remote area adjacent to Arches National Park. In fact, it's accessed via a 4WD jeep road from the Lower Delicate Arch viewpoint in the park, and from there, by foot on faint game trails and then, by bushwhacking. (Click to enlarge images.)

Here's a shot, looking southeast, into the axis of the Onion Creek anticline. Fisher Towers are in the escarpment to the left of the down-dropped center portion of the salt-cored structure:

Here's the view looking due south, into Ida Gulch and beyond to the La Sal Mountains. Not too bad:
And into Castle Valley, another collapsed salt-cored anticline. That's Parriott Mesa to left of center, and the location of my home away from home is circled:
While relaxing on my lofty perch I enjoyed a nice lunch consisting of some jerky and the best apple ever:
To summarize this terrific day:
  • ~1,350 ft elevation gained/lost
  • ~ 7.5 mi hiked
  • 3 bighorn sheep
  • 0 people
Priceless. And, oh yeah, it's my birthday.

3 comments:

  1. How far on that 4 WD road did you go before you started hiking? How far past the gate?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey LS: I drove about 2.3 mi past the gate at the NP boundary, and parked just below the mine adit shown on some maps. From there I hiked the jeep road to the top of the Mesa, then eventually making my way cross-country to the cliff edge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks John! That's good info, should've written before but.......tropical lethargy sets in when I look at the computer. The Waimea Canyon trails are dry (!) reducing the you-fall-you-die factor. I'm going to go out to Cache Valley again when I get back.

    ReplyDelete