Saturday, March 13, 2010

Requiem for my Palm T/X...

as I make the switch to a BlackBerry Storm2 smartphone. The jump occurs on Monday when I become eligible for an upgrade from my LG Dare through Verizon.

I surrender the aging Palm device with some reluctance as it has worked reliably, had Wi-Fi, handled PDF and Word documents and Excel spreadsheets, and ran various special applications along with the usual calendar/contacts/memos/tasks capabilities. Unfortunately, however, Palm has not kept pace with the rapidly evolving market and their smartphone offerings leave a lot to be desired.

RIM clearly dominates the business world and the BlackBerry platform offers all the above and much, much more. I've done my due diligence and the Storm2 seems like a good fit as it syncs with the University calendar/e-mail system, is a global phone, and also runs countless specialized apps. Verizon allows you 30 days to test drive a new phone, during which you can return it for another, no questions asked.

I considered some of the new Android OS smartphones but am reluctant to adopt first generation technology. The Bu bro grabbed one last week (Motorola Droid) so it will be interesting to compare our experiences with all this newfangled technology.

So long T/X. Gone but not forgotten.

UPDATE: Oh yeah, I used PocketCopy to transfer all my Palm OS information into Outlook in order to sync with the new BlackBerry. Worked like a charm. Recommended.

3 comments:

  1. Having had both an android platform and a blackberry I would recommend the Android, it is much smoother, faster, user-friendly, and has many more apps than the blackberry. Also, although android is relatively new, there have been several revisions and upgrades in the past year that it has been out, but that is my two cents...

    -BB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good points, but I need a global-ready phone for use when I'm traveling with Zegrahm Expeditions. Thanks for the input.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah, the blackberry then with its UMA calling, dual sims (some models), and universal CDMA/GPRS band its probably the best traveling companion for a phone, for those of us that aren't like Indiana Jones android works well :)

    -BB

    ReplyDelete