Sunday, November 8, 2009

Upgrading to Windows 7...

on my home desktop computer took about three full hours this morning, not counting backing up the system prior to the actual upgrade. The changeover seemed to work well with no problems encountered during the transition to the new operating system. Here's my experience:

1.) Back up critical files: I overdid this a bit, creating two backup copies of files to a 500 GB network drive and a 320 GB portable USB drive. I've got a lot of important documents and a load of images, and this took about four hours to accomplish (I let the PC churn on this through the night.)

2.) Rebooted the desktop PC that is running MS Vista Home Premium and turned off the McAfee antivirus program per recommendation. Then another reboot. Time: about 7:00 am.

3.) Placed the MS Windows 7 upgrade DVD in the optical drive and started the process, giving the program permission to first check for updates on-line prior to executing the actual upgrade. Time into upgrade process: 0:00 (hrs:mins).

4.) At 1:00 into the process the PC shut down and rebooted, but the display remained blank for about 25 mins. A new splash screen appeared at 1:30 into the process.

5.) Another reboot at 2:20 with a blank screen for about 10 mins. The new operating system was available for first use at 2:40, prompting for the upgrade key code, then at 2:45 it allowed me to log in under my former username and password.

6.) Several minutes later my old desktop wallpaper appeared at the proper screen resolution, gadgets appeared along the right side of the desktop, and all previous icons were in their usual places. No errors reported. Turned on the antivirus program, and the conversion was finished. Voila.

In sum, the upgrade to Win 7 seems to have worked. I'll post updates as I run some programs and get familiar with the new system.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a good experience. I'm surprised about the blank screens lasting so long during the process. That would make me nervous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently had a chance to use Windows 7 on a 11.6" netbook that a classmate owns. I like Windows 7 quite a lot. I'm glad to hear that your installation went well. Were it not for the nightmare of installing the student version on top of going from 32 to 64 bit, I'd gladly install Windows 7 on my primary laptop that currently runs Vista.

    ReplyDelete