Wednesday, June 9, 2010

I'm heading into the Maze...

District of Canyonlands National Park the next few days by an approach from the Colorado River. My plan is to travel by jet boat to Spanish Bottom (~ 53 river miles below Moab; ~ 4 mi below the Green River confluence) and be dropped there, then climb the steep and challenging Doll House Trail for access to the southern part of the most remote place in the contiguous U.S. I will be traveling alone and will likely not encounter any other Homo sapiens during my walk-about. I'll return to the river several days thereafter where I've made arrangements to be picked up by jet boat for the upstream return trip to Moab.

Here's a shot I captured of Spanish Bottom (lower left) in October 2005 during an overflight (click to enlarge) that shows the Colorado River flowing toward the viewer:
And another of the terrain around the Doll House (a bit further to the left than the preceding view):
The objective of this sojourn? To explore the Land of Standing Rocks and the Doll House area, and to walk in the footsteps of John Wesley Powell. And to examine the geology. And take some pictures. And enjoy the full-on solitude of a wilderness experience under the gloriously dark nighttime skies of a new moon. Priceless.

My backpack is ready, the weather looks good, and I've spoken with park rangers and have secured my backcountry permit. Close friends know the details of my trip and time of expected return. Watch for a post describing the experience early next week.

3 comments:

  1. That sounds like a great trip. I'd like to see that country myself some day. KO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to hear about your back-country experiences! Drink lots of water, now...

    ReplyDelete